3 Cups of Punjabi Al-Muhaidib Basmati Rice
5 ¼ Cups of boiling water
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Large onion, chopped
1 Large tomato, pureed
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 1inch cinnamon sticks
1 Dry lemon
10 Whole cardamom
1 ½ (Tsp salt (as desire
2 (Racks of lamb tied into crown (about 1 kg
2 Tbsp date molasses
2 Tbsp of ghee, melted
1 Tsp of each (ground cumin - ground coriander - ground black pepper)
1 (Tsp salt (as desire
- Toasted nuts
1. Wash the rice thoroughly & soak in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 200 C – 400 F.
3. To prepare the cutlets crown: mix the spices, date molasses, and ghee in to a small bowl. In a medium bowl, tie the ends of the cutlets using a twine to form a crown shape.
4. Rub the cutlets with the spices and molasses mixture then place the racks into a baking pan bones side up. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until cooked through.
5. To make the rice: heat the oil into a medium pot then add the onion and sauté for 4 - 5 minutes or until nice golden, then add the whole spices, tomato puree and tomato paste and cook for 10 minutes.
6. train the rice very well then add it to the pot along with the boiling water and salt, bring to boil, put the lid on and leave to cook on low heat for 20 – 25 minutes or until cooked through.
7. Place the cutlets into the middle of a serving dish then spoon the rice in the cutlets cavity and all around it.
8. Garnish with toasted nuts and pomegranate.