2 cups of Punjabi Al Muhaidib basmati brown rice
4½ cups of boiling water
10 ice berg lettuce leaves
1 medium white onion, chopped
3 tbsps olive oil
1 large tomato, pureed
1 cup chopped colored bell pepper
1 tbsp tomato paste
½ cup pomegranate
2 tbsps crushed walnuts
1½ tsp mild paprika
1½ tsp salt (as desired)
Yogurt Sauce Ingredients
⅔ cup of yogurt
2 tbsps chopped toasted walnuts
½ tsp dried mint
¼ tsp minced garlic
¼ tsp salt
1. Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
2. To prepare the yogurt sauce: Mix all the yogurt sauce ingredients into a small bowl and set aside.
3. To prepare the rice: Heat the oil in a medium pot and then sauté the onion for 2 - 3 minutes, add the pureed tomato, tomato paste, paprika and salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Strain the rice well. Add the rice, bell pepper and the boiling water to a pot. Bring to boil then cover the pot tightly and cook on medium – low heat for 35 – 40 minutes. Leave the rice to cool.
5. Spoon the rice into the lettuce cups and sprinkle with walnuts and pomegranate. Drizzle with the yogurt sauce.