3 Cups of Punjabi AlMuhaidib Basmati Rice
5 ¼ Cups of boiling water
4 Large boneless chicken breast, cut into slices
½ Cup vegetable oil
1 Large onion, thinly sliced
2 Small eggplants, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 Medium carrots, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 Medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 Cinnamon sticks 1inch
5 Whole cloves
10 Whole cardamom
1 Tsp all spice
2 (Tsp salt (as desire
- Toasted almond
1. Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
2. Toss the vegetables with ½ a teaspoon of salt and place them into a large strainer,and set aside.
3. Heat half the amount of oil into a medium skillet, then shallow fry the vegetable for 1 minutes on each side, and set aside.
4. Line the inside of a large loaf pan with vegetable slices.
5. Heat the remaining oil in to a medium pot then add the onion and whole spices and sauté for 4 - 5 minutes or until nice golden, add the whole spices, chicken, all spice and ½ tsp of salt and stir to cook for 4 – 5 minutes.Remove the chicken and set aside.
6. Strain the rice very well then add it to the pot along with the boiling water and remaining salt, bring to boil, put the lid on and leave to cook on low heat for 15 minutes .
7. Preheat oven to 200C-400F.
8. place the rice over the vegetable and lightly press. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
9. Invert into serving dish then put the chicken on top.
10. Garnish with toasted almonds.